Saturday

Honey Almond Cakes

When life hands you eggs, split them!
Last weekend I made LemoCrème brûlée for 8 people and hollandaise sauce for my brother, leaving me with a hell of a ton of egg whites!
There was no way I was going to let a hen's hard work go to waste, so whether to use the whites or not was not a question.  Thinking of how to use them though got me very excited!
I have been wanting to make the little French tea cakes called financiers for quite some time now, and they call for only egg whites, how perfect.


I looked up a ton of recipes and combined a few to make my own amazingly moist delicious, sugar/gluten free version!
I have to admit, I am very proud of how well these turned out!!!
  Not to mention, they are as cute as can be! 
I baked half the batch with slivered almonds sprinkled on top.
This is a good option too, especially if you want to make these to bring somewhere.


These are so easy to make, you don't even have to get out your mixer.
I used a ton of almond extract by accident because it came out really quickly! But it ended up making them taste amazing!

Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups Almond flour or Almond meal (I used a combination of both)
1/4 Gluten Free baking flour
1/2 t salt
3/4 cup Honey
6 T Butter, melted
1 T almond extract
1/2 cup egg whites

Preheat the oven to 350
Combine the flours and salt in a bowl
melt the butter and add the honey, mix well to combine
Add the honey mixture to the flour mixture and whisk
Slowly pour in the egg whites, mixing well after each little pour
Add the Almond Extract

Line mini cupcake pans with papers
Add a tablespoon of batter to each paper
Bake for 15 minutes
Allow to cool in the pan for 5 minutes before allowing them to fully cool on wire racks.

Yogurt Honey Topping:
Mix plain Greek yogurt with honey.
wow did I even need to say that?

All week for breakfast I enjoyed baked egg whites and spinach in ramekin,
 topped with cherry tomatoes, avocado and feta- delish.

No comments:

Post a Comment