Friday

Chocolate Cake


This cake is really great and so simple to make!
I added slivered almonds just for a little decoration

I love this recipe because you don't even need an electric mixer to make the batter.


A few changes I made:
The recipe calls for 2 cups of sugar, but I think that's a little too much, I halved that and it still tasted great, plus it's healthier.
Instead of 2 cups of water, I used 1 cup of soy milk and 1 cup of water- I think that makes it a little smoother.

Batter recipe somewhat adapted from The Vegan Connection

Batter:

3 cups of flour
1 cup of sugar
2 t baking soda
1 t salt
1/2 cup of coco powder
3/4 cup of vegetable oil
1 T vanilla
1/2 T almond extract
2 T cider vinegar 
2 cup of cold water

Preheat 350 degrees

In a bowl sift the flour

In a separate bowl combine the wet ingredients

Combine all ingredients and mix well with a wooden spoon.
Stir for about 2 minutes until there are no more lumps.

Grease and flour your baking pans (I love doing this- I think it looks so pretty)
I used two 9 inch round pans
Bake for 30 minutes

cupcakes: 20-25 minutes
9x11 inch: 50 minutes
Sheet pan: 40 minutes 




Frosting:

It's important that your butter is at room temperature when you make the frosting.
I also add 1/2 a Tablespoon of almond extract because I knew I was adding the slivered almonds for decoration.  Otherwise, just use 1 Tablespoon on vanilla extract.
Also, I doubled the frosting recipe because I was making a layered cake and wanted lost of frosting.  No need to double the recipe for cupcakes or a flat cake...

1/2 cup of Earth Balance butter 
2 cups of sifted powdered sugar
1/2 T vanilla extract
1/2 T almond extract
2 T soy milk
1/3 cup of coco powder

In a mixer combine the softened butter and sugar until smooth.
Add the remaining ingredients.
Add a little more soy or sugar 1 tablespoon at a time if you need to reach the right consistency.
Using a metal butter knife (I find that works rest) frost your cake.
at this point a added slivered almonds (optional)

Enjoy without guilt!

1 comment: