Wednesday

Winter Citrus Salad



This Saturday at the Ferry Building Farmer's Market I saw something  I had never seen before.  Red Walnuts!  They are so pretty, almost too pretty to eat.



I knew I'd have to make something that would incorporate these beautiful walnuts.  I decided on a winter citrus salad (I almost always add chopped nuts to my salads because I think they add an extra heartyness).  Citrus fruits are everywhere this January, so I bought oro bianco grapefruit and blood oranges (of course regular grapefruit and oranges would work just fine too).  I choose avocados too because they go nicely with citrus and are in season. 
(check out more seasonal fruits and veggies!)


Last stop, Cowgirl Creamery, my favorite local cheese store, to pick up some raw goat feta to crumble on top.
To give this dish a little more substance, I made quinoa flavored with mint and lemon!

I made a dressing of fresh ginger and avage- so delicious.  The sweetness of the agave and the strong flavor of the fresh ginger really go well with the citrus fruits.  If you don't have agave, honey will work too.  I bought fresh crushed ginger in a jar, and since I made this salad I've used it about 3 more times in recipes- it's my new favorite "must have"!  Ginger is also super good for you! (Ginger's health benefits)

This salad can be presented in many ways.  NO need to make it technical like I did- I just had the time to spend making it look pretty.  These ingredients all thrown together in a bowl will look pretty no mater what.

Ingredients:
Avocado
Grapefruit
Blood oranges
1 cup of quinoa
Fresh mint
Lemon zest
Feta cheese

Dressing:
Equal parts fresh crushed ginger and agave.
Add extra virgin olive oil until you reach the consistency you like- stir really well

Quinoa:
A cooking technique that Erin taught me.
Add your Quinoa (1 part to 2 parts water) to boiling water.  Stir a bit, bring to a simmer for about a minute.  Then turn off the heat and cover.  Let site for about 15 minutes- it will cook itself in the steam!  
Add lemon zest and chopped mint to taste
Stir in good olive oil salt and pepper to taste

I used a cookie cutter to shape the quinoa nicely.
Pile on the grapefruit and chopped avocado.
Sprinkle with walnuts and crumble feta.
Drizzle with the yummy agave ginger dressing! 

And lastly, ENJOY! 


No comments:

Post a Comment