Saturday

How Sweet it is to be Lavender


Sweet & Salty = Perfection!

I have been having a recent obsession with sweets sprinkled with salt!

The 3 flavors here (sugary sweetness, earthy lavender and savory salt) make these shortbread cookies little bites of heaven!  


Lavender and salt are optional here although I think it really adds a special touch.  
The added lavender and salt bring these cookies from a 7 to a 10!

I become weak in my knees when I bit into these!

Basic shortbread recipe adapted from Martha Stewart

Makes about 4 dozen

Ingredients:
1 cup (2 sticks) of butter (I used Earth Balance)
3/4 cup confectioners' suger
1 t vanilla extract
2 cups sifted all purpose flour (I used whole wheat)
1/2 t salt
1/4 cup edible lavender (more or less depending on personal preference)
Fleur de sel for garnish 

Cream butter, sugar and vanilla until well combined and fluffy.
Chop up the lavender a bit into smaller pieces.
On slow speed beat in flour, salt and lavender until combined.
Wrap doug in plastic wrap, chill for at least 2 hours.

On a lightly floured surface, roll out the dough to 1/8 inch thick.

Any shape or size cookie cutter will do.
Cut with cookie cutter and place onto an ungreased baking sheet, chill for 30 minute

Heat oven to 300 with rack in the center.
Prick the cookies with a fork.
Sprinkle with Fleur de sel (or good Kosher salt)
Bake until edges are just brown, about 18 minutes

Cookies will keep in an air tight container for up to 5 days- but I guarantee you'll eat them all up before then!

No comments:

Post a Comment