Wednesday

Nonna's Biscotti

Gluten/Sugar Free and Vegan Almond Biscotti


My Italian grandmother would be disappointed to see what I have done to the family biscotti recipe. But, in my defense, it's 20-10 and with new research coming out showing the negative effects wheat and sugar have on our bodies, I felt the need to make a few adjustments.


I have recently cut gluten and sugar (except from fruit) from my diet, and I feel great. I have more energy and I'm not bloated and gassy anymore (symptoms of having a wheat allergy).
80% of people are sensitive to wheat, to some degree. I recommend you try just a week with no gluten (and sugar if you really want to take the challenge). I guarantee you will be amazed with how great you feel. Don't be discourage, there are plenty of things you can still eat (check them out).


I saved some for myself and put the rest in a jar for my brother!
What's a girl to do with a studio full of cookies anyway?

Ingredients:
2 sticks of vegan butter
1 t almond extract
1 t vanilla extract
1 cup of unsweetened applesauce
1/2 Amaretto
3 1/2 cups of G.F. Flour
1 t Baking Powder
1 t salt
1 cup slivered almonds

Preheat 325

In a mixer, cream the butter
Add the extract
While the mixer is on, slowly add the applesauce and liquor
It will not blend together completely, no worries
Sift the dry ingredients and add to the wet ingredients.
You may want to add a little flour if your dough seems too sticky
On a floured surface, roll the dough into logs the size of a broom handle

Bake for 30-33 minutes
Remove from the oven and cut them at a diagonal, about a half inch thick
Turn cut side up and return to the oven to continue baking for about 10 minutes

Cool on a rack
Yields about 30 Biscotti.
I calculated about 55 calories per cookie, and 2 grams of fat! Woohoo!

No comments:

Post a Comment