Saturday

Ball of Fire!

Like Power Bars, they're Power Balls!


I've recently been experimenting with making healthy, whole, full protein, gluten free workout snacks...and these I think are a winner. Just one will sustain your energy for at least 2 hour workout.


I had a bowl of cooked grains (quinoa, millet, amaranth) in my fridge that I had made the day before and decided to use this as my base.
I have also been obsessed with almond butter- I finished 2 jars in 3 weeks! oooops :o)
So I decided to go with a nut butter to hold the grains together and provides a good source of protein and healthy fats.
I also prefer almond butter over peanut butter because it has more vitamins and minerals.

Now that we have chosen the carb and protein (grains and almond butter) I decided to roll the balls in coconut as a source of natural sugar. The coconut also helps hold the balls together and keeps from getting your fingers sticky with almond butter... not necessarily a bad thing.

You can use any grain here, even rice. I recommend using quinoa though because it is a full protein (containing all 9 essential amino acids).

Quantities here, like most things I make, are not important at all, you have complete control here. If you prefer, walnut butter, use that. If you prefer cocoa, roll your balls in that. The possibilities are endless.
I didn't think it needed to be sweet, but again, it's up to you. You can add 1 T of a natural sweetener like honey, during the first step

Other Options Inside:
cinnamon
ground flax seed
protein powder...

Other Options for Rolling:
chopped nuts
Cocoa Powder
Chopped Dried Fruit like Cranberries...


Makes about 10 Power Balls:
1 1/2 cups cooked grains
1/2 cup nut butter
Coconut for rolling

Combine the first 2 ingredients in a bowl (at this point add your sweetener or protein powder)
Form into little balls about 2 tablespoons worth
roll in coconut (nuts, cocoa powder, dried fruit, etc.)

Keep in an airtight container i the the fridge for, well I'd say forever- but just to be safe, 3 weeks!

Now Go and Run a Marathon!

No comments:

Post a Comment